Saturday, December 12, 2009

Holiday Fair --- in the rain





















This is my helper, James. My usual helper had to take his SAT test so James pitched in to help. He was a good sport about the rain but I felt sorry for him with no jacket! I had on pantyhose and socks, jeans, a turtleneck, a sweatshirt and a coat and sneakers. I took my coat off for the picture.

I've typed out this little narrative three times now and each time I think I'm about finished with it, something happens and I lose all the words. SIGH

Anyway --
I knew the weather forecast called for rain all day, so I almost opted out of even doing the Holiday Fair. I didn't relish dealing with all the rain and hassle but I'm glad I did. I'm sure I'll be feeling the results tomorrow. As I sit typing this, warm and dry now, my body is already beginning to ache all over. Whew!


When we first got to the place - James arrived ahead of me - it wasn't raining very hard, just a light drizzle. About the time we got the tent pitched and all the items displayed, the rain began in earnest -- as did the parade. I felt sorry for everyone out there on their floats with no umbrellas.
People didn't seem to mind, though. It was very surprising just how many people came out to support the event, even in the rain. I felt sorry for those who had no sides on their booths. I know my tarps on the sides don't exactly look that great but I'll tell you what, it sure helps keep things snug when the rain comes down!
As the day continued, the damp ground beneath our feet became saturated and eventually we were standing in about two-three inches of water. I wish this picture could show you just how deep the puddle was!

Eventually the puddle became so deep that we decided it would be a good idea to move the tent. Otherwise, we'd eventually be in water over our shoes. Luckily, a guy I know from work came by about that time so he helped us move the tent and our tables. Unfortunately, we could no longer stand behind our check-out table because of the puddle. Putting our chairs up by the front of the tent meant there was no protection from the elements.
It wasn't long after this that I decided it was time to pack it in. The crowds had thinned considerably and James was beginning to shiver from the dampness. One of the officials came by when she saw us packing up and asked if we couldn't stay awhile longer. On the check-in sheet, it said everyone was required to stay until 4 p.m. I was in no mood for a quarrel so I just said that James wasn't feeling well and I had to get him home.
"Gee, that's too bad because once one vendor leaves, they all want to start to leave."
Well, sorry about that, my dear, but I can't have this young man getting sick, I thought.
When we were just about finished loading the car, she came back again and apologized for the way things had turned out.
"You can't control the weather," I said. "But I think we did pretty well, considering. I was surprised at how many people turned out."
All in all, it wasn't a total loss. I made double my booth rent, which is what they say constitutes a "successful" show. Maybe next year, the weather will cooperate!
I don't know why I can't get all the letters to either be black or purple. I'm too whupped to worry about it right now! LOL Click on Pix for closer view

Slideshow Here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment!