Saturday, February 13, 2010

A Saturday Lesson

You are cordially invited to go with me while I run my Saturday errands.
First stop: Wally World where you might have thought it was Christmas Eve instead of Valentine's Day eve.
The place was packed!!

And what a huge array of consumer goods were displayed for the late Valentine shopper! The number of stuffed animals, bags and bags of candy, heart shaped boxes of chocolates, and flowers was insane! People were really in a frenzy!

Next up: Winn-Dixie for groceries. Not only did I save $17 today on my grocery bill, but I also racked up savings on my gas by using my Winn-Dixie card. ;)

Whenever I shop, I always fill a bag for the food bank. I'd forgotten to deliver it last week and as it turned out, I was glad it was still in the car. After I'd completed my shopping, I was driving past the empty lot beside the grocery store when I came upon a couple standing beside their car which had been heaped high with various and sundry items. The man was holding a sign: Please buy or donate.

I pulled over and motioned to them to open the back door. "I was going to take this bag to the food bank. Please, take it." They were so grateful and so happy for just that small bag of groceries. I wished I could have done more.

After seeing aisle after aisle of so much STUFF and then seeing these poor folks in such dire straits, it really gave me something to think about. There but for the grace of God.....


2 comments:

  1. That's so great that you regularly donate to the food bank. I tend to do it only during their drives, shame on me! The big city we live near in CO is currently trying to deal with "a growing homeless problem" and, because I'm from CA and witnessed homelessness for years and years, it's sort of eye-opening for me. I've been thinking a lot about it and what we all can do lately...has so been on my mind.

    Anyway...I am making my way back around to visit my new friends from OWOH and wanted to let you know I'm following now and looking forward to getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurie:
    It's been so nice meeting so many new people through OWOH.
    Thanks for your comment.
    It's so true that sometimes we don't even realize what's around us until it materializes right before our eyes in an unavoidable way.
    The way I figure it, I've been helped so many times in my life that it's my responsibility to return the favor whenever I'm able to do so.
    We're all in it together.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment!